Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

My wife was driving her 1 series BMW (116i on 63 plate,

My wife was driving her 1 series BMW (116i on 63 plate, 25,000 miles ) when her brakes suddenly failed , luckily she was driving at slow speed , when she pressed on the brake pedal it didn't depress and she didn't slow down. She managed to crawl the car home. Ive just had a look at it and the brakes now seem to be working OK but we are understandably concerned that this is an intermittent fault and the consequences of it happening at high speed a very worrying. Any ideas what might be happening? I've seen a few comments on forums where same thing has happened but no one seems to be able to give an answer as to whats going on .
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 month ago.
What is the last 7 of the vin?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
E695892
Expert:  Steve replied 1 month ago.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

this would most likely be caused by a faulty brake servo unit (aka brake booster)

it is also possible that a hydraulic failure could have caused this but that is less likely.

I would not drive the car until it is fully inspected

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks , we'll get it checked out and let you know if that was the issue