Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

My 04 BMW 350d computer does not work properly. The central

My 04 BMW 350d computer does not work properly. The central control button works at random and intermittently and each of the four functions have stopped working.
Fuses?
Re set somehow?
Suggestions please?
***** *****house
Can you please describe in more detail what exactly works and what does not work?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The whole thing does not work. The controller on the transmission tunnel only changes the categories and screen intermittently, the four categories, (navigation, environment, entertainment and communication) show on the screen and occasionally switch on, but do not open up. The steering wheel buttons do not function all the time.
Bluetooth shows as being available but will not open up.
A month ago everything worked perfectly including connecting to my iPhone, but suddenly stopped working.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am deaf.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Tried to reset by pushing radio volume button and both fast forward, fast back buttons down and holding them but it did nothing
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
By the way, I made a mistake it is an 04 model BMW 530d sorry.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

you can try to reset the system by unhooking the car battery for an hour

you can also check all fuses but it is not likely a fuse issue.

usually when this happens the issue is that one of the control modules on the idrive network fails and takes the system offline. It is commonly the main computer, but can sometimes be another module such as the Bluetooth module, amplifier, etc.

to determine the cause, specialized diagnostics needs to be preformed using a bmw diagnostic computer to identify the failed module. Once the module is identified, it can be replaced and the car reprogrammed to accept the new module.

sorry to have potentially bad news but I trust that my honest reply is appreciated.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Your reply is appreciated. Thank you.
***** *****house