Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli,
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

L have a 1995 td5 mechanically sound, but she is being very

Customer Question

l have a 1995 td5 mechanically sound, but she is being very unpredictable answering the fob, friends have said problem is water leaking through the twin roof lights, and making its way to some electrical parts. But to day LR locked me out again, fortunately l managed to use the keyto unlock &b open door, alarm screeched away, pressed fob to lock this also stopped alarm. Pressed fob to unlock and it worked OK. But is was a dry cold day can any one please point to the area at fault, by the way just fitted new batteries in both of my fobs. l am not sure it is a water problem, would the fitting of a ecu unit cure all my ills?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Peter Zavarelli replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

You would need to have the ECU/control unit/receiver that receives the lock and unlocks signals checked for any water damage.If any damage is found it will need to be replaced.If there is no water damage at all then you would need to have the fault codes checked to see what codes are set then those codes diagnosed to then locate and repair this fault here.It may take having the ecu/receiver replaced to resolve this fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Pete, lt is out of my hands at the moment had to have a recovery lorry pick up my disco as she let me down again whilst l was out. The car is with Land Rover specialist, l am hoping that it is repairable, at a reasonable costing, not sure what an ECU/control unit costs, will have to wait for result from the garages diagnostic test readings.
|Pete do you have any ideas on ECU costings?. Peter, many thanks for taking the time to answer my problem, Regards Mick.

Your welcome and I do apologize for the delay once again.

The cost can vary for ecu replacement but can run around $500 (US) in some cases to have it replaced and programmed.The cost will vary depending on location and shop/dealer pricing.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete