Robert
Robert, BMW Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

My 5 year old mini ONE has been making a tapping sound this

Customer Question

My 5 year old mini ONE has been making a tapping sound this morning when I break what is the possible problem and how much will it cost to fix?
I had new break pads and sensor fitted about 2 months ago
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 month ago.

hello - where on the vehicle is the noise coming from? can you describe it more?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello Steve,it sounds like its coming from the rear of the car when I break, I had new break pads and sensor fitted a couple of months ago
Expert:  Steve replied 1 month ago.

dose the tapping vary with road speed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no just when I break
Expert:  Steve replied 1 month ago.

so it doesn't tap faster or slower if you are going faster or slower when you break?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
maybe faster when I break from a higher speed?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just to confirm the cost of our conversation Steve tis is £15 in total so far?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 month ago.

as far as I can tell. you would need to check with customer service. did you have mini parts installed, or after market?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
After I bought the car
Expert:  Steve replied 1 month ago.
I understand that they were installed after you owned the car. I am asking if the beakes you installed are actual mini made brakesnor not
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't feel this is resolving any of my questions Steve?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 month ago.
I haven’t answered you yet, I am still gathering information? Would you want me to answer without knowing all of the relevant issues?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Steve, I don't feel that you are being very helpful or efficient in resolving the issue
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I as lead t believe that Steve is a BMW mechanic?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

Hi..there..

Supplier brand of the Pads is key in finding out if they are the cause or not..especially with BMW which of course supply MINI.ive worked on all sorts of BMW's and MINIs in the UK.as and when pads,sensors are usually one of things that need to be replaced..its often best in some circumtances to get them from the dealer or stay clear of cheap after market like from eurocarparts,ebay for example! ..If they are branded Pads from BMW itself then they shouldnt be an issue..but id say likely what id be doing if a customer came to me with this problem..would be to get the back wheels off and inspect them..ensure the caliper mounting bolts are secure.aswell as the carrier bolts...if aftermarket pads have been put in then ensuring the new shims,retainers are fitted and the pads arent loose on the carrier..i could probably bet if all else is in order.if you had cheap pads installed then that will be your problem...and the cost basically would be the a better brand set of pads..you shouldnt need to do the wear sensor again as long as it hasnt worn through yet.which it shouldnt of done given the time scale from when it was last done