350matt
350matt,
12772297

Hello I have a ford lehman 2722e 4.2 litre deisel engine in

Hello I have a ford lehman 2722e 4.2 litre deisel engine in my boat, it has trouble starting and with cold start. When it does start it has a lot of white smoke straight away then eventually goes away, does any one know what the problem could be apart from the cold start not working?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  350matt replied 3 years ago.

a lot of white smoke on startup could be either water thats leaked into the combustion chamber or excess fuel

I'd 1st check to see if the engine is losing coolant and if it is then the thing to try is a head gasket / block test kit as these take a coolant sample and analyse it for any signs of combustion gas - if present this would indicate the head gasket is on its way out

http://www.uktools.com/block-tester-p-12508.html

if this is OK then its likely to be a dribbling injector that leaking fuel so its worth considering adding a bottle of injector cleaner into the tank as a clogged injector nozzle will reduce power and give poor combustion - the next stage on from this is to remove all the injectors and have them ultrasonically cleaned and flow checked

350matt,
Experience: