Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I have been a lawyer since 1985 and have been a professional on this site for 5 years.
10263656

I have been accused of taking clothing from a woman

Customer Question

I have been accused of taking clothing from a woman I use to dog/house sit for. I dog sat for years and years and suddenly she has accused me of taking things. I have corresponded with her numerous times asking her to leave me alone, cooperating by looking for her things, as often things get mixed up, asking friends if they had seen things and eventually just asking her to please leave me alone. she is harassing me and has threatened to press charges. she lives in ontario canada, i am a masters student here in the uk. this has become stressful, upsetting and quite frankly, scary. I'm not sure what to do. Please advise.

Category: Canada Law
Expert:  touchwoodsden replied 4 years ago.

Where did this allegedly take place?

Have you taken anything?

We need full background please. Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I spent at least five years looking after this woman's dog. Although she is quite a bully and expected me to take days off work, never leave the house, I continued to understand because she had lost her husband suddenly years before and I felt compelled to make her feel more at ease. For years I heard nothing but "you're the only one I trust in my house" "I would never allow anyone else to stay here and take care of the dog" etc etc. I would stay for close to two weeks at a time and a few times I would leave some of my things there and take home a shirt, or a bathroom cream- to which I would always return. always. Any time she emailed me because she couldn't find something I would appease her by looking, sometimes more than once. I have never, ever deliberately taken a single thing, nor would I ever. I have not even been in her home for about 8 months and have received emails that she can't find things and coincidentally it is my fault.

I have told her numerous times that I don't have her things, that I would check with friends about whether they had anything (although I said to her that I don't even know how that would be possible) and the last time I spoke with her I asked her to please leave me alone and that I would contact her the next time I was in the country so I could have a proper look. Although, to be honest, I went through all my things whilst packing, but wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt.

She has recently emailed me saying that she wants her ugg slippers, white robe, blouse, coat and skirt or she is pressing charges.

Things of mine have gone missing in the past so I have tried to sympathize how she might be feeling, but never have I ever treated anyone like this. She is bullying me and completely erratic.

Thank you for your time.

You have posted this in UK law. I will transfer it
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you very much.

I have already reported it. It will move eventually.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.