Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I have been a lawyer since 1985 and have been a professional on this site for 5 years.
10263656

Divorced 60 year old Mother of 2 adult children how do Canada

Customer Question

Divorced 60 year old Mother of 2 adult children how do Canada Pension Plan credits work I want to know if I can claim on my ex husbands pension credits without it effecting his pension.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 4 years ago.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

The way this works is that you each have the right to share in the pension credits you each acquired over the course of your marriage.

So you can request that CPP do a credit split.

Then you would get half of your former's spouses credits that he earned during the time you were married and he could do the same for yours.

It would affect his pension to some extent because if you were to get more then he would get less.

But you can ask CPP what you would get with and without the credit split and how much he would lose because of it.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.