Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I have been a lawyer since 1985 and have been a professional on this site for 5 years.
10263656

I am contemplating a move in my career to another company.

Customer Question

I am contemplating a move in my career to another company. At present , I am in the second year of a contract that was renewed in May 2013, in it states that "you provided no less then 90 days notice to the Employer should you decide to terminate your employment". What are the repercussions if I decide to take this new position but cannot honor the 90 days?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

May I ask which country you are in?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Canada, Ontario

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX move this to the Canada Law section for you.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 4 years ago.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

Unfortunately, you would be breaching the contract and the employer could sue you for any damages that employer sustains as a result of that breach.

For example, if the employer loses business because of this and can prove it you would be liable for compensating the employer for this lost business.

I am sorry this is not the answer you were hoping for.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.