Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I have been a lawyer since 1985 and have been a professional on this site for 5 years.
10263656

My daughter is married to an Indian man and they live in Canada.

Customer Question

My daughter is married to an Indian man and they live in Canada. They both have Canadian citizenship. The marriage of 9 years has broken down and she wishes to end it & return to the uk. Her name is XXXXX XXXXX the mortgage and the don't have a joint bank account. She works at his business and useses her pay to pay for food and essentials for the home. What rights does she have and how can she get home.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 3 years ago.

Legal Ease :

Thank you for your question. My goal is to provide you with the best possible answer.

To achieve that goal it may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.

But, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Legal Ease :

Do they have children?

Customer: No
Legal Ease :

Then she is free to leave Canada when she likes.

Legal Ease :

If she lives in the UK for a year she can get a divorce there.

Legal Ease :

Or she can first apply for support if she needs spousal support.

Legal Ease :

She can get the order in Canada and then enforce it from the UK if possible.

I ended the chat as the time would soon time out and you would have to pay again.

So please just post back and then we can go up and back and you won't be charged further.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I expect it is expensive to get an order, will she be able to go to the court and do it herself. She has no money of her own.
She can self-represent but if she has no income she can apply for legal aid.

Legal aid funds family law matters.