Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I have been a lawyer since 1985 and have been a professional on this site for 5 years.
10263656

Hi. I know a little boy, hes seven. his mother gave him to

Hi. I know a little boy, hes seven. his mother gave him to his grandfather in another canadian province (manitoba) to take care of when he was two. his grandfather lived on a farm with his employers and had guardianship of the child. when the boy was 4 his grandfather got another job and left the farm. the little boy continued to live there and the farm owners treat him as their son. his mother has come to visit him several times and has also taken him back several times but gets bored of him and takes him back. now shes decided to take him and raise him herself along with his 2 year old brother in calgari. the little boy does not want to go. the owners of the farm are the only parents he has ever known and the only people who havent abbandoned him. is there any way the little boy can stay on the farm?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My goal is to provide you with the best possible answer.

To achieve that goal it may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.

But, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

The owners of the farm can bring an application for custody of the child.

As they've raised the child since he was two they have a very strong case.

The Court will make its decision based on what if finds to be in the best interests of the child and as this has always been the child's home and parents it is very likely that the Court will say the child is best off with the farm owners.