Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I have been a lawyer since 1985 and have been a professional on this site for 5 years.
10263656

How can I get a late affidavit submitted in a criminal case.

The time line is 7 days. I have an affidavit I wish to submit. It is only 3 days from the petition so I am late. How can I get it submitted.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My goal is to provide you with the best possible answer.

To achieve that goal it may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.

But, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

I am not clear on the facts.

What is the Affidavit for?

What do you mean by the petition?

What province is this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The affidavit is for a criminal contempt of court case for non payment.
The agency was given a court order to pay in Dec and they have refused
And not paid
I have additional evidence I need to submit but the time line to submit s 7 days.
I am only 3 days away from the hearing.
B.C.
You can try and submit it now. If the Court will not take it then you can ask if you can get into the court now to bring an application for leave to file the Affidavit late.

Or at the hearing you can ask first to have it admitted as it was additional evidence that you could not put in earlier or otherwise ask for an adjourment of the hearing date so that you can submit this additional evidence if the court won't give you permission to put it in late.