Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I have been a lawyer since 1985 and have been a professional on this site for 5 years.
10263656

I have a criminal record that is on the internet. I

I have a sexual criminal record that is on the internet. I cant get a job because of this. What can I do?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.
I'm a moderator for this topic. Please could you just clarify which country this question is about?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I live in Ontario Canada.

Thank you. I will change the category to Canada Law for you now.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My goal is to provide you with the best possible answer.

To achieve that goal it may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.

But, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Are you saying that some site has posted your criminal record? How did they get it? Is what has been posted accurate?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was not my "criminal record", but a write up by a local newspaper, and another news website that details court proceedings as well as the crime. The details are accurate, but very embarrassing and not something any employer I have applied to likes. When my name is ***** ***** any search engine, all the details are there for anyone to read. In this day and age I believe every employer does at least a quick name search for any person they are considering to hire.

My main question is, is there anything I can do about this. My savings are being drained as I'm not eligible for any kind of government assistants either.

If the details are accurate then there is nothing you can do from a legal perspective.

Court proceedings and the court record are matters of public.

You can try and send them a letter or have a lawyer send them a letter (it will not cost that much for one letter) simply stating that they post is causing you to suffer undue hardship and you believe is affecting your employability and you would ask that for these reasons they take the post down.

But you won't be able to get a court order for them to do that unfortunately.

I am sorry about that.
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience: I have been a lawyer since 1985 and have been a professional on this site for 5 years.