Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I have been a lawyer since 1985 and have been a professional on this site for 5 years.
10263656

I am appearing in court today for driving without insurance,

I am appearing in court today for driving without insurance, I would like to get the fine lower due to the fact that when I purchased my vehicle I had a better paying job and then lost that job and couldn't make the insurance payments. Then we trying to get it back after getting a new job my rates went higher and I had to pay for the whole year at once. I got caught driving without insurance because of my license plate sticker not because of careless driving. My family had to me and believed herself that my line of credit was used up and not available to me, but when I went to the bank to try and figure out how I was going to pay for a full years worth of insurance and a possible 5000 dollar fine they told me the credit line was still open and therefore I used it to pay for new insurance but after I had been pulled over and charged. I did not think I had an option before this and if I had known the entire problem would have been avoided and I would have simply put myself into debt earlier to not have this problem occur. Any advise would be greatly aprietiated.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My goal is to provide you with the best possible answer.

To achieve that goal it may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.

But, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

The fact that you could not pay the insurnance premiums is not going to be considered an excuse. You will be told one simple point. If you cannot afford the insurance then you cannot drive.

Until you had paid you did not have the right to drive and committed an offence by doing that.

It is not an excuse to an offence that you couldn't afford to pay. Your legal obligation was to stop driving at all until you could pay.

You can try and speak to the Crown and ask if you can plead guilty to a lesser offence so that you and the Crown can avoid a trial. It is very common for the Crown to make this deal so the court's time is not used up in many trials.

That will be your best next step.
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience: I have been a lawyer since 1985 and have been a professional on this site for 5 years.