Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I have been a lawyer since 1985 and have been a professional on this site for 5 years.
10263656

I RECIEVED A EXCESSIVE SPEEDING TICKET IN BC ON JULY 22 2014

I RECIEVED A EXCESSIVE SPEEDING TICKET IN BC ON JULY 22 2014 . THE OFFICER ISSUED ME A TICKET WITH THE WRONG DATE ON IT FOR JULY 22 2013 , WRONG YEAR . I PUT IT IN FOR DISPUTE TWO WEEKS AFTER I GOT THE TICKET , NOW THE OFFICER HAS CONTACTED ME WANTING TO ISSUE ME A NEW TICKET WITH THE RIGHT DATE ON IT . I HAVE REFUSED SIGNING A NEW TICKET . HE STATED THAT THEY HAVE A YEAR TO REISSUE A TICKET BY LAW AND I HAVE TO ACCEPT IT .
WHERE DO I STAND WITH THIS , DO I HAVE TO SIGN A NEW TICKETY OR KEEP IT IN DISPUTE . CAN I DISPUTE THE TICKET BECAUSE OF THE DATE .
THANK YOU , PAUL
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My goal is to provide you with the best possible answer.

To achieve that goal it may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.

But, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

The reissue is valid as they have a year to do it.

It doesn't matter whether you sign or not.

The ticket is valid and you can fight it on other grounds but not because of the date.

I am sorry about that.