Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I have been a lawyer since 1985 and have been a professional on this site for 5 years.
10263656

I have a UK will. I also have property in Canada. Do I need

I have a UK will. I also have property in Canada. Do I need a Canadian will also? Do I need to list the Canadian properties on the UK will? Will they be included in the UK estate tax calculation? I officially reside in the UK but am still ultimately domiciled in Canada.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My goal is to provide you with the best possible answer.

To achieve that goal it may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.

But, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

I can only answer about the law in Canada and not the UK. Should I go ahead or would you rather me move this to the UK Law list?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

please just answer the Canadian legal question. I will ask another question to the UK lawyer on the site if you cannot forward my question to them.

I have been having internet problems at home and as I am not well and do not get out much, it has taken me a long time to reply.

thank you

Diane Koyich

You should have a Will specifically for your assets in Canada.

That way the Will will reflect our laws and there is no risk of something going wrong.

As well, it will make things much easier for your executor to deal with rather than have to go through the more complex legal procedures in trying to deal with a foreign Will in Canada.