Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I have been a lawyer since 1985 and have been a professional on this site for 5 years.
10263656

Canada Revenue services recently sent my daughter, who is 16

Canada Revenue services recently sent my daughter, who is 16 years of age, a notice which threatens to assess her for funds they claimed I transferred to her, Can CRA sue a minor?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My goal is to provide you with the best possible answer.

To achieve that goal it may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.

But, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

No one can sue a minor but they don't have to.

They can seize assets without suing.

As well the issue here is not about the child. They are alleging you transferred the funds to her fraudulently. Even a regular creditor could sue you to get the transfer set aside.