Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I have been a lawyer since 1985 and have been a professional on this site for 5 years.
10263656

There, I have a son in the uk with a criminal record.

Hello there,
I have a son in the uk with a criminal record. I would like him to come to canada for my wedding. I believe he would have problems at customs because of his record. What can we do to alleviate this situation?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 years ago.
Because of your son's criminal record at first he is considered to be inadmissible to Canada on the basis of criminality.But, after 5 years has passed since hid sentence as been completed it is sometimes possible to be deemed to have been rehabilitated when he reaches the border. However, there's no guarantee as it's up to the discretion of the immigration office.If you don't want him to take a chance at the border the most prudent thing to do is to apply for individual rehabilitation. If this application is successful you will no longer have to be concerned about him being turned away at the border.But, it takes over a year to get this processed.So, if you want him to come over before then it's sometimes possible to get what is called a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP). This is sometimes granted in cases like his.Here is a link to the information about the TRP application:http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/inadmissibility/permits.aspHere is the link to the webpage that explains how rehabilitation works:http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5312ETOC.asp