Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I have been a lawyer since 1985 and have been a professional on this site for 5 years.
10263656

I have been in a relationship with a man ( now my

Hello ,
I have been in a relationship with a man ( now my fiancé ) for 6 years . We have lived together in Scotland since 2011 . He refused to put my name on the mortgage and when we set up joint bank accounts he told our banker he was waiting for the other mortgage term to finish . He is the main income earner of us two . He had made me quit my job shortly after we met and refuses me to work other than part time . We bought a property in BC Canada .In joint ownership . He has broken off our engagement again and kicked me out of this ( his ) property in Scotland . I said I will go to Canada to the apartment we coown . He said I have no right . He has in the past forced me into shelters , or to ask friends to stay with them . This is humiliating and degrading . He said he is suing me tomorrow and forcing a sale of the apartment . Please , what are ( some ) of my rights ? Thank you , sincerely
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Are you asking about your rights with respect to the property in BC?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes , I am asking of my rights to our property in BC Canada . Can he force a sale ? Do I have the right to move there when he is kicking me out of our main dwelling here in Scotland ?
I( believe in Scotland I have not any rights )
Thank you ,
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
For now you can move there because it is yours just as much as it is his. The property is in both your names. If you cannot buy him out then he will be able to force the sale of the property by getting a court order. A court will not require someone to own property he/she doesn't want to own. So you can live in the apartment until there is an order for the sale and that could take some time especially if you contest the application. When you get to BC it would be best to consult with a BC lawyer face to face. You can contact the BC Branch of the Canadian Bar Association and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be $25. The number is(###) ###-####or 1.***-***-****.
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience: I have been a lawyer since 1985 and have been a professional on this site for 5 years.