JGM,
31090051

Good morning, trust this mail finds you well.May I ask

Customer Question

Good morning, trust this mail finds you well.
May I ask you to provide some guidance to me on an eTA matter.
I am a 48 year old UK citizen and was hopping to travel to Jasper Canada for a vacation on the 4th March 2016. Original travel plans were to travel on the 18th March therefore I submitted an application for an eTA as per immigration requirements.
In my application I noted that I have a previous criminal conviction for assault. This was punishable by a £200 fine. D ate of conviction was October 2007, I have no other convictions.
I am led to believe that Canadian Immigration view UK citizens criminal records with the UK Rehabilitation Act in mind given the precedence set in the Burgon case of 1991.
Is this correct or will my conviction of over 8 years ago make me inadmissible to Canada?
I would really appreciate any guidance on this matter.
Thank You in anticipation.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Given the disposal and given the time that has passed you should be deemed as rehabilitated. This is one summary conviction over five years ago and had it been committed in Canada would be punishable by a maximum prison terms of less than 10 years.
Whilst the matter is at the discretion of the immigration authorities in Canada, there should not be a problem, if you apply your situation to these guidelines.
For the avoidance of doubt, however, you will have to disclose the conviction. The U.K. Rehab laws don't apply to Canada, although they do take the principals of the Act into account when assessing a visa application.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much
Answer helps me in my judgement and clarifies what my thoughts were
Thank You
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome. Don't forget to leave a positive rating on the system so that I'm credited by the site for my time.