Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I have been a lawyer since 1985 and have been a professional on this site for 5 years.
10263656

I am currently in the process of applying I be a live in

Hi thereI am currently in the process of applying I be a live in cater in Calgary.
While the permit is pending and I allowed to continue to visit Canada as a tourist/visitor?
Also the role starts in March, if the visa is approved before then am I allowed to fly out to Canada or do I have to wait until the start date of my role?
Michelle
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 12 months ago.

I am happy to answer your questions. I have one for you first. Are you saying you are in Canada now?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
NoI am currently in Edinburgh but was wondering if it is possible to visit as a visitor while apply for my work permit.
The role is due to start in February and a live in caregiver and I would be looking to visit my boyfriend who lives in Calgary over Christmas and new year. I would booked a return flight but I don't want to book any flights if this would adversely impact the work permit application.

This would be fine. It will not impact your work permit application unless you over stay your visit.

But it is not necessarily guaranteed that you will be permitted to enter as a visitor.

You will have to prove strong ties to back home.

So having a return ticket is good but also be prepared to show a job if you have one, a home, ties to your family, ties to your community etc so it is not though that you will remain in Canada and overstay your visit.

Do you see what I mean?

If you have any follow-up questions please feel free to ask them. If you feel we are done then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if I have not then please don't hesitate to reply and tell me what more I can do to help. Finally, please know that I will be here for you after you rate me so if you think of a follow-up question then you are still able to ask it and there is no further charge.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi thereThanks for your advice it has been very helpful.In terms of proof of job I wil be temping/working as a contractor from September-February. Would you advise if I travel out there for Christmas that I take my employment contract along with proof of my return ticket?I will be living with my mum and dad so in terms of ties to home/family what do you feel would be acceptable.I understand this is hypothetical but I want o make sure I don't do anything that could deny me access to Canada.I take it the decision will be based on the border control agent that processes me at immigration?Thanks

You should for sure show your employment contract.

As well, you can bring a letter that shows you live with your parents and what you are doing in terms of helping them out, if anything but it not it is fine as most kids live at home for free and do nothing much and it is usual and expected.

If you are involved in any clubs or social or religious organizations that would be good to show.

But it will be OK if you cannot.

The job is the good thing to show really.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** been really helpful.