TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Senior Advisor
Experience:  International tax law
14155347

I am a Canad***** *****ving in the UK. I have been living in the

I am a Canad***** *****ving in the UK.
I have been living in the UK for 1.5yrs, first as a student but now working for the last 6 months.
I am obviously paying tax in the UK.
My question is whether I need to file separately in Canada, whether I will be paying additional tax if I do so, or can I be declared a non resident.
If you could comment on the implications and process of being declared non-resident that would also be appreciated.
Category: Canada Tax
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 years ago.
Do you have any ties to Canada?

How much of the year do you spend in Canada?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I currently spend less than 20 days per year in canada.

What do you mean specifically by ties?

I have a RRSP (inactive for last 2 years), TFSA,(inactive for last 2 years) bank account very infrequently active), and credit card (very infrequently active)

Do you still have a driver's licence for Canada?

You no longer have provincial health insurance do you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes to both,

Would cancelling both make the difference?

How do you still have health insurance if you are only in Canada for 20 days a year?

Do your parents have an accountant in Canada?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is this relevant from a tax perspective?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.
Hello,Every question asked of you is required to assist you in deciding if you are a resident still of Canada for tax purposes.An individual's residency status is determined on a case by case basis and the individual's whole situation and all the relevant facts must be considered.The most important thing to consider when determining your residency status in Canada for income tax purposes is whether or not you maintain, or you establish, residential ties with Canada.If you are working temporarily outside Canada, vacationing outside Canada, commuting (going back and forth daily or weekly) from Canada to your place of work in the United States, or teaching or attending school in another country, and you maintain residential ties with Canada, you may be considered a resident.
TaxRobin, Senior Advisor
Experience: International tax law