How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question

Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Tax
Satisfied Customers: 99447
Experience:  I have been a lawyer since 1985 and have been a professional on this site for 5 years.
Type Your Canada Tax Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now

My ex wife who resides in Vancouver with my three children

Customer Question

Hi, my ex wife who resides in Vancouver with my three children for 11 years, (children are aged 22, 20 & 17) obtained an ISO provisional court order from Vancouver in 2014 for child support and retroactive payments dating back to our divorce in 2006, when she lived in the U.K. The ISO was sent to the UK and I attended court to give evidence and present my financial disclosure. We were advised to send a form to Vancouver court requesting the ISO be set aside, as it was gained without any evidence or disclosure made by myself. Over the past 18 months, various documents have gone backwards and forwards, and having secured a Vancouver lawyer two months ago, they advised that the process had been incorrect on both sides and the issue had to be sent back to the UK court for a disclosure hearing, as we had never been given my ex wife's disclosure documents in the U.K. When a hearing was then held in Vancouver in April 2017, we were told that because we had sent a request for the ISO to be set aside, we had somehow and totally unwittingly accepted that the case was now under the full jurisdiction of Vancouver and therefore, Canadian law. The Vancouver court then subsequently ordered a trial date in Canada and ordered me to commence immediate payments of $500 CAD monthly, without any disclosure evidence from me. At the time of separation, my ex wife and I sat down amicably and chatted through the issues and agree that I would allow her to take £53k of a family investment payout and that we would pay half the airfares to the uk for visitation and all other assets would be divided. My question is; how do I now find myself under Vancouver law and not ISO law because I sent an incorrect form requesting the provisional court order made in Vancouver to be set aside - which has never been acknowledged by the court in Vancouver and how have I been ordered to pay a monthly fee to my ex when they have no evidence of ability to pay or that matters between my ex and I and the lump sum payment being taken into account? Is there any redress with either ISO or the two court jurisdictions involved? Thank you.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Canada Tax
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 months ago.

By arguing before the Court in Vancouver about the substantive issue you attorned to the jurisdiction of the court.

The only thing you could have done with that court is to take the position that the court did not have jurisdiction.

But actually if the children live in Vancouver now and this is their habitual place of residence the Vancouver court does have jurisdiction over them and so does have jurisdiction over child support.

So even if you had not made this error the court would still have jurisdiction and the court in the UK should not agree to take jurisdiction any more.

At the same time that should not matter as you certainly have the right to a full hearing after financial disclosure on both your parts and then the order will be made.

And the order will be based on the Federal Child Support Guidelines and on your income so there will not be any uncertainty as to what you need to pay going forward.

You can use this online support calculator to work out what you will have to pay:

Does that help clarify the law?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your response, I understand, but this was an ISO provisional order, unenforceable without agreement from the interjuristional court, which was in the U.K. The U.K. Court did not accept the order and asked for more information from Vancouver, including a response to the request to set it aside. Why was the UK court ignored and regardless as the the fact the children reside in Canada - my ex opted for the interjuristictional support order. She had the opportunity to take me to court in Vancouver in 2009, but decided not to. She then applied for the ISO in 2014. If it's an inter jurisdictional provisional order, why have the UK courts been completely overlooked and an order made by the Vancouver court without any financial disclosure on my part? They have guessed my income and completely ignored I paid a lump sum to my ex at the time of separation.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 months ago.

I cannot know for sure.

But I assume that she decided to go to the Court in Vancouver for some reason and the court agreed to make the order because the kids live in Vancouver and because the law about child support is clear. There is no discretion.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP

Meet The Experts:

  • Anna


    Teacher, writer, biologist

    Satisfied Customers:

    Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
< Previous | Next >
  • Anna's Avatar


    Teacher, writer, biologist

    Satisfied Customers:

    Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
  • pdheslin's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    20+ years of internet site creation and search engine optimization. Dozens of search tools at my disposal.
  • Kim D.'s Avatar

    Kim D.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Researcher 20+yrs in small and large institutions
  • findinganswers's Avatar


    Internet Researcher

    Satisfied Customers:

    Internet Researcher, Nurse for over 17 years, and can find answers for you!
  • ProMBA's Avatar


    Internet Researcher

    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm an owner of three businesses, with both undergraduate and graduate business degrees from top tier universities.
  • Mr. Stevens's Avatar

    Mr. Stevens

    Information Freak

    Satisfied Customers:

    I only comment on things I know very well

Related Canada Tax Questions