Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

Pioneer DEH-X6600DAB was driving and it went on its own to

Customer Question

Pioneer DEH-X6600DAB was driving and it went on its own to mute. Cannot get it off this setting. Even pulled negative connection off battery to start set up again

Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.

I suspect this might be the mute signal wire. On the rear of the stereo unit on the main connector there will be a "mute" wire. This wire can be connected to hands free kits to automatically mute the stereo. The wire is usually blue but it depends on the stereo harness used. Often the wires are labled with a tag or the colours are printed on a sticker on the stereo. Ensure this wire is not touching anything, some are negative switch, some are possitive and some are both, so if it comes into contact with anything metal, or a live wire it will auto mute the stereo. If this wire is connected to the main car wiring harness but you dont use the mute function, you can snip the wire and tape it up with insulation tape.

If this is OK and the stereo is still muted, release the removable front panel and clean the contacts with electrical cleaner or an alcoholic wipe, sometimes a bad contact can make it think the mute button is pressed. If neither solutions work, there may be a small re-set button behind the front facia which is accessable with the front removed, press and hold this if it has one with a small pin, then release... this will perform a hard reset.

If all of this fails, Unfortunatly it will be an internal failure of the stereo which would need to be replaced or repaired.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.