Michael
Michael, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in the field of electronics repair, TV, VCR and computer repair.
11519491

I have a 2013 Subaru Outback. It has Bluetooth capability. I

Customer Question

I have a 2013 Subaru Outback. It has Bluetooth capability. I have a Motorola MotoX phone using an android operating system. Verizon wireless is my service provider. About two months ago I received a message to upgrade my operating system on the MotoX. I performed the upgrade. The phone still connects the the 2013 Outback. However, when I attempt to make a call using the car interface, the system attempts to transfer the phone book. Prior to the operating system upgrade, this transfer started and completed in about 30 seconds or so. Now, after the upgrade, the transfer starts, but there is no progress. As a result, I'm unable to utilize the phone book from the car to make calls. And, I can only dial by using the phone.
I've taken the phone to a Verizon Corporate store, the reinstalled the operating system. However, the problem still persists.
How do I resolve this issue?
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi, good morning,

This is caused by the unit in the car itself not your phone. Its not that your phone is really malfunctioning but rather the car receiver.

Its possible we can resolve this with out repair if you would like to r that let me know.

May I have the make of the car radio in your Subaru?

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It the radio which came with the car. HD Radio FB 678 US is the model number on the device.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh, and it's a Harmon Karden.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that;-)

You can try this.

Disconnect + battery terminal in your car for 20 full minutes.

Then replace the terminal.

Next set up your radio

Then link and try this again it works about 80 % of the time to restore proper operations.

If that works great, but if not please let me know and I will provide further information to you on this.

In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.

Please rate kindly thus far, it won't cost you anything to rate my service to you kindly,

Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Tech Michael

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Let me know how it all goes;-)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looks like I'm part of the 20%. Disconnected the battery for 25 minutes. Reconnected the battery. Turned the car on. Selected the phone. Got a message the address book was empty. Followed directions to perform data transfer. Encountered the same issue. Data is not transferring. Progress bar is stalled.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much for trying that it also was a test , the problem does lie in your receiver. Because it has got a bad component that is causing this showing as a short on a data line. The reset proves this. I wish I had better news for you I really do but the receiver needs service. You can take it to any local car stereo install shop for this or a dealer they can fix this for you;-)

Its not a very expensive repair I know if you take the radio out of the car and bring it to a Sears Or Best Buy they would charge a lot less.

If you need further information just ask me I will see if I can help there as well.

Thank you and have a wonderful weekend!

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you are saying this has nothing to do with the new Android operating system? The data transfer worked before I updated the operating system, and did not work immediately after the update. My logic says the new operating system version is flawed.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi I was unaware that was the case. In this case yes by all means I would suspect the software as ad even Windows 10 came out bad lol;-)

That could definitely explain that issue.

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

The updates do not work immediately as the system has to reset when it is ready;-)

So you may need to just give it time as this will likely fix itself.

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

This also could have resulted in a failed update.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've had this problem for two months, it has not resolved. What should I do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The current operating system was installed by a Verizon representative in a Verizon store. So I'm not sure there was a failed update.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi the fact that you get a an error like that tells me for sure one of 3 things. Either the update was flawed or the installation originally was bad. Or there is a failed component in the phone. But given all the info you provided so well and thanks for that, I suspect the update or original installation. Even an experienced tech can make this mistake.

I would see if they will re install the software for you free, that should work.

I have been a technician for over 30 years so I'm pretty sure of my diagnosis;-)

Have a great weekend and by all means do come back to me if there is still a problem as I can help further.

Have a great weekend and please rate kindly so we don't get lost, there is no cost to rate me kindly;-)

Tech Mike

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mike, with all due respect to your 30 years of experience, I'm of the opinion there is an issue with the operating system. I've talked to a number of people, including technical support at Verizon and the representative at a Verizon corporate store. They all advise against updating the operating system (probably my initial naive error) and indicate issues with Android operating system updates.As I described in my messages to you, the operating system was updated twice, once by me, the second time my a Verizon representative. I do not think this is a failed system update. I think the problem lies with the operating system itself.At this point, I view my issue as unresolved by just answer.com. Please take the necessary steps to fully refund my payment for services. Thanks in advance for your attention to my request.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi I believe this one as explained to me by you, to have an electronic issue causing the problem especially since you have had that OP sys re installed many times. UNLESS... they didn't really clear out the old one and begin a complete new install.

just because they work for Verizion doesn't mean they did this correctly.

But if they did, then I suspect still electronic memory issues.

Respectively

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Michael, the operating system was completely removed and reinstalled by Verizon. I stood and watched it done.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi maybe we are not talking about the same thing here?

I was saying that if that wasn't done completely it could cause this as could other things. But I am telling you what is most likely the trouble.

I know what it is, and it is electronic in nature, it is an electronic component failure that is your most likely problem I would bet on that as I also know these units very well. And their issues and conditions, I hope I was helpful, as I recommend repair on this to fix the unit;-)

This is my livelihood so I know this field very well and am here to help is all;-)

Thank you and have a nice weekend.

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Michael,I'm having difficulty reaching the same conclusion as you with respect to the issue I'm having with the connection between my phone and vehicle. I know you are convinced there is an electronic component failure.I believe the problem lies with the Android operating system upgrade. Here's why I think that is the case. Prior to the operating system upgrade, the interface between the phone and my car worked perfectly and reliably. After the upgrade, the interface did not work (and still does not, after trying all of the various diagnostic approaches you recommended). From all the folks I have talked to, including staff at the Verizon kiosk at Costco where I purchased the phone and Verizon staff at the Verizon corporate store, they all advise that problems like this occur which are related to Android operating system upgrades. They also have no recommended solutions, other than to switch to a new phone (which I will be eligible to do in mid-November).What I don't know is how to contact the makers of the Android operating system and discuss this issue with them. Frankly, in my view, if I was able to reinstall the original operating system which came with the phone, I would bet this issue would be resolved. Unfortunately, I don't know how to do that. As I indicated previously, when I took the phone to the Verizon corporate store, they did a factory reset, but that resulted in the installation of a newer version of the Android operating system and no resolution of the issue.So, that's my thinking on the issue. And that is why I did not rate your services because from my perspective, I've spent $30 and have no resolution of the issue.Regards,Steve
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi Steve, its always possible as to the problem being something else as you say but I see these problems on a daily basis lol ;-)

I will try to get you a phone # ***** contacting this on act with JA but not there is at this time. Please rate my service kindly before you close this page. There is no cost to do that;-)

That ensures we can remain together until we are through.

I will be in touch when I have that info as well.

Thanks so much for your patience Steve.

Tech Mike