Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2007 BMW 320i Auto. The check engine light came up

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2007 BMW 320i Auto. The check engine light came up the other day, I scanned with an OBD scanner and got code P122F and C0700. Can't find anything related to these codes online, any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.

that P122F code doesn't fit the regular code standard so I'say that this is due to reading the codes with a generic scan tool - typcially a genuine BMW scan tool will give more accurate reading as well as providing what the code means

also the the C codes relate to body modules, which are not covered by any standard so won't be able to be read off with a generic scan tool

unfortunatly I;d say this is going to need a trip to the dealership or a BMW specialist whom holds the BMW diagnostic tool

sorry its not a more DIY answer

if you tell me how the car is driving with this fault I can try to provide further help
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the reply, the car is driving without issue or cause for concern.
Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.
Hello Parmjit

in that case if the car is driving fine but displaying an error code its likely to be something small like a power steering switch or air temperature sensor

both of these ( and there are many other small possibilities) do effect how the car drives but only in a very minor way so the lack of their input isn't really an issue in everyday use

If you are concerned about it then its going to need plugging into a dealer level diagnostic machine to obtain the codes and identify the faults