Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Driving skoda fabia vrs 1.9 d. Very soft (pop) noise and loss

Customer Question

Driving skoda fabia vrs 1.9 d. Very soft (pop) noise and loss of power, little smoke.
Starts of but will not go past 30 mph. Is it the hoses under the engine or some sinister problem.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 5 years ago.

I'd first check all the high pressure hoses post turbo for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes or rubber hoses that have popped off, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.

this sounds like the most likely issue to me and hopefully its just a case of re-tightening a hose clip

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues
Also have a feel around with your bare hands with the engine running to see if you can feel any escaping gas under your touch. Another method is to use a soap and water solution sprayed onto any suspect areas - if there's a leak it'll bubble up with the engine running
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Have checked bottom hoses, big hose can be moved about a bit from both ends. I am waiting for a friend to check the rest. will advise.

Should you be able to move this hose (the big one with part metal part rubber hose)?

Have checked for leaks, no leaks found. Cleaned top part of hose , not the intercooler end (the engine end of it with the metal end). Still a bit loose.

Drove car, turbo do not kick in at all on any gear. Had a bit of white smoke could be due to cold then no smoke at all.

Engine sounds normal but no power on the gears and have difficulty going over 2000 revs.

Help

Expert:  Matt replied 5 years ago.
Hello Larry

there's a bit of give in the rubber hoses but there should only be a few mm of movement, try feeling aorund the high pressure hoses especially the ends of the intercooler while your assistant rev's the engine for you

I'd also suggest fitting a boost gauge just temporarily so you can check what the boost pressure actually is

I'd aslo then remove the high pressure intake hose after the turbo and have a feel of the turbine wheel - there should be no play radially at all - but a little bit of axial / end to end float is normal

If this is OK then check for air leaks after the mass airflow meter - The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.
Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Have checked all pipes/hoses no leaks. Had to take car to garage, confirmed my findings. Garage thinks that it may be the cat converter having a blockage which is causing the problem. Any chance of this?

Expert:  Matt replied 5 years ago.
Hello Larry

a blocked cat will reduce power but it would be unsual for it to suddenly fail they normally go off very gradually

for a sudden loss of power I'd next check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues

and if you do measure the boost pressure and find its low then one other possibility is that the wastegate actuator spring has gone soft so allowing the wastegate to open prematurely - if your actuator has a threaded end you can increase the preload on it to see if this improves things otherwise these units are quite cheap compared to a new turbo so it may be worth trying a replacement
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your help. Hand to get a replacement turbo as the wastegate was all knackered and blocked.

Expert:  Matt replied 5 years ago.
Hello Larry

thanks for letting me know and glad you've got it sorted