Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

Here Jeep wrangler 2009 manual transmission Car chattering

Customer Question

Hi, here Jeep wrangler 2009 manual transmission

Car chattering when warm ONLY after 15min drive in first gear and reverse. Reversing uphill is almost impossible when warm ONLY. In 4wd low reversing and going forward fine hot or warm.

Category: Car
Expert:  Rob replied 4 years ago.

hi.

what engine fuel and size is fitted to your vehicle?

regards rob

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Petrol, 3.8l

Expert:  Rob replied 4 years ago.

hi.

sorry for the late response if have to go to work for 1/2 day but will be online at 1pm gmt

to advise you .

regards rob

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Rob, I will try to be here.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am happy to pay good bonus if you help me to solve the problem with my car. Michael

Expert:  Rob replied 4 years ago.

hi Micheal.

has this problem been ongoing for a while?

any warning lights on dash?

has the transfer box been drained and refilled ?

when the box was removed was the flywhhel checked for runout?

did the new clutch and slave make any difference at all?

do you get any judder through the clutch pedal if held on the biting point?

regards rob

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

has this problem been ongoing for a while? - it started at about 50K now car has 70K

any warning lights on dash? - no

has the transfer box been drained and refilled ? - no

when the box was removed was the flywhhel checked for runout? - it was fly machined thats what i know

did the new clutch and slave make any difference at all? - clutch didnt, but slave yes (engagement point don't move any more)

do you get any judder through the clutch pedal if held on the biting point? - no ( but i want mention I fill vibration from time to time through gear level at 20Kph exactly)

additionally to that new clutch did this problems a bit worse. The clutch is from Spec / performance it doesn't allow to slip to much

Expert:  Rob replied 4 years ago.

hi Micheal

thanks for the info.

is it at all possible you could find out what thickness of material was machined off the flywheel.

does the vehicle suffer any juddering when pulling away forward or reverse.

regards rob

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

is it at all possible you could find out what thickness of material was machined off the flywheel. - not sure If it is posible

does the vehicle suffer any juddering when pulling away forward or reverse. - yes but only when warm in 2wd/4wd hi after 15-30min drive, first and reverse. 4wd low no judering/shuddering

Expert:  Rob replied 4 years ago.

hi Micheal.

i would like to carry out an experiment but dependent upon what you think.

you will need to remove the prop shaft from the transfer box to the front differential and see if it makes any difference i think it is the only way forward to isolate the problem.

what are you thoughts on that?

regards rob

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Rob,

front shaft or rear shaft?

Regards,

Michael

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Rob,

disconnect prop shaft = tail shaft? and you want me to test how it is driving in 4wd hi?

Expert:  Rob replied 4 years ago.

hi Micheal

just the front shaft to sart with.

regards rob

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

not getting this, this car is part time 4wd so front doesn't spin in 2wd. Am I right?

Expert:  Rob replied 4 years ago.

hi Micheal.

you are correct in what you say but by disconnecting the front drive shaft we can elliminate the front differential and the 4wd via the transfer box .

i am going to opt out of this question as i have got to go away for four days travelling

i will repost this question and wish you good luck with this issue.

sorry

regards rob

Expert:  Walt-mod replied 4 years ago.

I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.