Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Hello, My Mitsubushi Colt 1992 auto had some welding done

Customer Question

My Mitsubushi Colt 1992 auto had some welding done on its upper and lower suspension components mounting.
Front brakes pipes have been replaced.
Anti roll bushes have been replaced.
Brake pads have been replaced.
Brake discs have been replaced.
It drives well, but it started to make a rattling noise on reversing after all the repairs have been done.
When driving and reversing the noise disappear.
I took the car to the garage that has done all the work, and after keeping the car overnight they said that it was a twig on the brake discs. I found it hard to believe.
Today again the same noise when reversing from the garage.
I would be grateful for your advice how to deal with the garage, what can cause the noise? The car is old but it has been looked after well.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is MIKE, Im happy to help & advise you on this -

I take from your comments above that this rattling noise has come about only since the welding repairs have been done - My concern, as the weld repairs have been carried out at strategic important parts of the suspension, where there are heavy stresses when the vehicle is driven/ put under strain on those points, that the cause of your creaking noises is emanating from the welded repair area/s and its therefore this that needs close detailed inspection.

It could just be that on reassembly of the removed components, necessary to make clear access for weld repairs, they haven't fully tightened a mount / secure attachment etc - so all that needs checking - but further to that , a close, detailed inspection of the weld work / quality of it needs checking.

Obviously I dont know the quality of the welding work carried out as I cannot see it - so the best advice here is that you need therefore to have a second opinion on this - so take the car to a separate garage and ask them to check the quality of the work.

This is based on as I mentioned above - this has only come about since the repairs - and the fact that as I mentioned, the weld repairs have been carried out at major structural areas where there is considerable pressure when the car is in being driven - especially at "pull off" - either in drive or reverse... Too - for the garage to say it was a "twig in the brakes"... you see my point there.

If the weld repairs have been carried out to a poor standard, the structure of the vehicle could be ( and would be if poor ) in a dangerous condition - so from here , your next step has to be as above -- have it inspected independently as above and then go from there as found . Let me know how you go on.

Let me know if you need anything else on this -

Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me any time if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.