Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Hi My fiat ducato 2.8JTD has the battery warning light on,

Customer Question

Hi My fiat ducato 2.8JTD has the battery warning light on, changed the aternator for a new one but the light is still on any ideas
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.

1st check that the alternator is actually charging the battery in the car by taking a battery voltage reading with the engine off then another with the engine running. The 2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climbing steadily. And also check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for the charging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the contacts are clean and bright.

And one last thing is – how old is the battery? – As even good quality ones need replacing every 5 years and faulty battery just won’t hold a charge
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi the battery is nearly new, the alternator is brand new and well connected but the ign warning light will not go out

Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.
Hello John

thanks for the information

if you could please do the voltage test I mention above as this will show if the alternator is actually charging the battery or not