Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

citroen 2.2hdi fault code p0245 turbo boost pressure checked

Customer Question

citroen 2.2hdi fault code p0245 turbo boost pressure checked vaccum changed b/p valve live reading turbo measured pressure-1600 turbo nominal pressure-753mb reading on host car =atmospherick pressure
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

I'd first check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues

Also have a feel around with your bare hands with the engine running to see if you can feel any escaping gas under your touch. Another method is to use a soap and water solution sprayed onto any suspect areas - if there's a leak it'll bubble up with the engine running

If this is OK then remove the high pressure intake hose after the turbo and have a feel of the turbine wheel - there should be no play radially at all - but a little bit of axial / end to end float is normal

If this is OK then check for air leaks after the mass airflow meter - The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.

Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

could also be a faulty wastegate actuator - if the spring has gone soft inside then its own't provide full boost - these are much cheaper than a new turbo and so this should be checked out before replacing the entire turbo

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks for all your suggestions i have tried nearly all of them but you have given me a few more ideas but the reading live on

turbo measured is -1600mb and 753mb nominal pressure indicates a vaccum where boost pressure should be regards m

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Maurice

ok if there's a general lack of boost I'd suspect that there's an issue either with the wastegate actuator or a sticking wastegate on the turbo

I'd 1st remove the actuator and see if the wastegate arm is free to move - if it is replace the actuator

it the wastegate arm is sticking then its new turbo I'm afraid