Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

About 4 - 5 weeks ago I drove my skoda fabia through some

Customer Question

about 4 - 5 weeks ago I drove my skoda fabia through some fairly dep water, prob up to my sills a couple of times.
Then snow.
Occasional problem turning on ignition.
Now electonic warning light is showing.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is***** happy to help / advise you on this..

For the water to got that high on the car, it can have got into the vehicle wiring in general, in the inner sill area etc - that can ultimately effect the systems etc.. but it cant have got into the likes of the main control modules etc unless its got into the vehicles wiring and worked its way up with a capillary action into the fuse boxes / modules etc - this does happen... while rare, it does happen so bear that in mind. Signs of wet / water would have to be checked in the interior wiring / fuse boxes / modules under the dash etc - that could well have an effect on the ignition side of things -and ultimately put a fault light on - The same applies to the engine bay where the water could work its way up into the fuse / relay boxes etc -so bear that in mind also.

It may be nothing to do with that at all above- but I mention it because it does happen.

What you need to do now is make general basic checks on the system - starting with checking the wiring and fuse boxes / areas etc for wet etc as above - Then check the basics for battery and charge system faults.

If all is well as above, then your next step is going to need to be to have a plug in diagnostic test - because you have the electronic systems fault light on... there is no other way to find why that is on - you have to have a plug in test done / diagnostic test - which scans the fault log ion the Ecu - computer for the car which then in turns tells the tech why the light is on / which circuit needs attention and it can then be put right. This might be your ignition system / relay etc / main relay - which would tie ion with your ignition fault - or that can be a separate fault that would need a meter to test / investigate. Or, if you are having physical trouble turning the key to turn the ign on, then its a mechanical fault with the lock - this is not uncommon meaning it is coming due for a new ign lock.

Most small type garages have the equipment needed to run the diagnostic test as above -you dont have to use a dealer - so that will be cheaper - and quicker for you - But if you can, make those basic checks etc that I mentioned above first, in case you can see the cause of the issues.. Let me know how you go.

Let me know if you need anything else on this -

Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.