Mark
Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

Rover 75 cdt auto. 2001 Absoloutely fine when left previous

Customer Question

Rover 75 cdt auto. 2001 Absoloutely fine when left previous night. Next day nothing at all. No lights on dashboard. Key won't turn over. Ignition system totally dead. Battery ok. Non ignition system e.g. hazards, side lights, central locking all ok.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mark replied 4 years ago.

Hello. The first thing to check is if the immobiliser is still engaged. The next would be to try jumpleads but when you go to connect the negative lead, connect it to an engine ground rather than the battery. If it starts then you may have a broken engine earth strap.

Mark

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Your service was good so thank you for your reply but unfortunately what you suggested had already been done. We've been onto the Rover garage and they're stumped as well. My husband is now systematically going through every part of the engine to see if he can discover the fault!

Sue

Expert:  Mark replied 4 years ago.

The next thing is to check the ignition switch. You need to remove the cowling to get to it and test it with a multimeter.

Mark.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks. I think this is the problem.

Expert:  Mark replied 4 years ago.

Let me know what you find.

Mark.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK - Yesterday my husband put the key in and as expected there was nothing at all. He left the key in while he moved his own car and when he turned round the windscreen wipers were working. He tried the ignition again and nothing. The wipers started again a few minutes later and when he tried the ignition it fired up. Hooray!!!

All afternoon the car started perfectly and we thought that perhaps there was water somewhere that had dried up over the week...............

This morning I went to use the car - key in ignition and dead as a Dodo.

Any ideas what might be going on? My husband suggested that the temperature yesterday was rather higher than of late and today it's cold again, but I've driven this car through three winters and never had any problems.

Sue

Expert:  Mark replied 4 years ago.
Did you replace the ignition switch?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No.