Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

hi there i have a seat ibiza cupra gti year 1999,but is in

Customer Question

hi there i have a seat ibiza cupra gti year 1999,but is in great condition,my fob key isnt working tha central locking, yet tha light flashes when pressed,, tha central locking works when key is turned in tha door lock... i have checked tha fuses and are all ok.. wha else could it be????? thanks andy
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 3 years ago.

techmachine :

Hi, welcome to Just answer, my name is Ross, i will help with your question.

JACUSTOMER-u5uuwrzr- :

ok thanx

techmachine :

Do you only have the one key fob?

JACUSTOMER-u5uuwrzr- :

yes i do...

techmachine :

Ok, im just bringing up the data for your model, it doesn't show a 2.0L is this petrol or diesel?

JACUSTOMER-u5uuwrzr- :

petrol, 2.0 L 8v

techmachine :

Ah ok sorry this must be the last of the older shape, have found it now.

JACUSTOMER-u5uuwrzr- :

ok gudluck ...

techmachine :

Right, it sounds like the key has lost its programming with the central locking receiver unit, so it needs to be re-programmed, i can give you the instructions on how to do this your self. If this fails, it will indicate a fault with the control unit its self but this is less likely.

Can i just confirm this is the key which has a rounded top and two buttons on it rather than a flip style key?

JACUSTOMER-u5uuwrzr- :

yes its tha rounded top wiv tha two buttons..

techmachine :

Inset key into drivers door lock

Turn to the lock position and hold for at least 0.5 seconds

Within 5 seconds turn the key to the unlock position 3 for at least 0.5 seconds

Remove key

Programming mode now active for 20 secconds

Point key at the back of the rear view mirror through the window press and hold the unlock button and press the lock button 3 times

Key LED will flash 5 times

The car should lock to indicate the programming is complete wait 20 secconds to exit programming mode.

JACUSTOMER-u5uuwrzr- :

ok will go n try this nw ok...

techmachine :

great, i will hang on here.

JACUSTOMER-u5uuwrzr- :

i dne it tiwce,,, still not working..tha lights flashed 5times like u said thou...

techmachine :

Right Ok, it sounds like the central control unit is causing the problem in that case.

JACUSTOMER-u5uuwrzr- :

sorry i didnt do tha key in lock at tha beggining...wot u mean by postion 3..?

techmachine :

Sorry thats supposed to be 3 times.

JACUSTOMER-u5uuwrzr- :

do tha lock n unlock process 3 times then go to bk of car is it.....

techmachine :

scrap that idea. Lets do a full re-program.

JACUSTOMER-u5uuwrzr- :

ok ...

techmachine :

Insert key into ignition

Switch ignition on for 5 secconds maximum

Remove key

Within 20 seconds, Press and hold lock button

press the unlock button 3 times within 10 secconds

release the lock button

LED flashes 5 times

The central locking should now activate to confirm operation

Wait 20 secconds to exit programming mode

JACUSTOMER-u5uuwrzr- :

ok i stay tha car when doing all this process....

techmachine :

Yes

techmachine :

Doors closed.

JACUSTOMER-u5uuwrzr- :

b right bk

techmachine :

no problem.

JACUSTOMER-u5uuwrzr- :

still not working ,again tha light flashed as i said..but central locking not working off tha fob...

techmachine :

Right, sounds like your doing it right then but the control unit isnt responding. I have known them to take several attempts so keep trying when ever you get the chance, i had one that took 12 goes once.

Otherwise, i think the control unit is going to be the problem.

JACUSTOMER-u5uuwrzr- :

ok il go bk out n re-try tha process...

techmachine :

You can also try disconnecting the negative battery terminal for 10 mins, this will discharge the power from the control unit to re-set it, then attempt to reprogram just in case there is a glitch on the system

JACUSTOMER-u5uuwrzr- :

tha battery out of tha fob.....

techmachine :

The car battery, it will reset the receiver unit

JACUSTOMER-u5uuwrzr- :

ok will try tmorrow up at 5 for work so i will let u no ok thanx for ur time so far hope i can sort it./

techmachine :

No problem, feel free to get back to me at any time if you need further assistance, regards, Ross

techmachine :

Hi, did you have any luck with your central locking? If you need further help please feel free to ask and i will help you get to the bottom of it, thanks, Ross.