Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

i have a 55 plate 1.3 doblo, It wont start without a bump or

Customer Question

i have a 55 plate 1.3 doblo, It wont start without a bump or the dreaded easy start even when warm, I have tried a crankshaft sensor but exactly the same.

I have fuel pumping out of the fuel filter, it goes have at least 1 glow plug gone (i did a resistance check)

Unfortunately I can't read the codes with a cheap eobd reader, but no lights are on when its running?

any help much appreciated!
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 4 years ago.

Customer:

Hi, welcome to just answer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX will help with your question.

Customer:

Does the engine seem to start easily when bump starting or does it take a lot to get it going?

JACUSTOMER-6fchx0q4- :

I have not bumped it myself the customer has, but when you give is a squirt of easy start it picks up then runs fine, sorry to be a little vague

Customer:

No problem, There is a good battery voltage?

JACUSTOMER-6fchx0q4- :

not when i got to it but i removed the battery when i got it and charged it up so now there is yes, it turns over ok possibly very slightly lazy but nothing i would worry about i've had similar problems with a slow starting golf when hot which was a starter but this one just turns over and over

Customer:

Ok, so its either electronic or fuel related by the sounds of it, Generally if it refuses to start, but will on easy start its air in the fuel or a leak allowing the fuel to drop back to the tank, the bump or easy start is enough to suck the fuel back to the high pressure pump but the starter isn't.

JACUSTOMER-6fchx0q4- :

It does have an electric lift pump in the tank which is working, the pipes to the filter housing squirt diesel out if you disconnect them and flick the ignition on, the return to the tank is the same

Customer:

Does it start OK if its switched off and back on or does it need to be bumped/easy start again?

JACUSTOMER-6fchx0q4- :

no, i have run it up for between 5 and 10 mins turned it off and tried it immediately and it spins over lovely but wont even think about firing

Customer:

Ok, sorry for all the questions! I take it the car runs and drives with no problems once its going?

JACUSTOMER-6fchx0q4- :

as far as i know, i will run

JACUSTOMER-6fchx0q4- :

sorry i can run it up the road tomorrow to see?

Customer:

Yea see how it goes, ideally you need to get this on a good diagnostic system to see what's going on with the sensors and live data but i have two ideas of what it might be.

1, EGR valve, if the valve is suck wide open it makes it incredibly hard or impossible for the engine to fire, once its going, it will run OK as its expecting it to be slightly open at least.

2, The Fuel rail pressure sensor, these are becoming quite common on these engines now so its worth checking, but again i don't like to say for sure without some diagnostics carried out.

JACUSTOMER-6fchx0q4- :

ok thanks for your help i will have a play with the egr valve in the morning.

JACUSTOMER-6fchx0q4- :

many thanks

Customer:

No problem, feel free to get back to me if you need further help with this, regards, Ross.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Faulty fuel pressure regulating valve was at fault.

Expert:  Ross replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for getting back to me, im glad you have got it sorted. Seems these are becoming quite a common problem on these engines now.