sean
sean, Technician
Experience:  UK based Ford Master Technician. Technician since 1984.
31670004

I have just bought a second hand Suzuki grand vitara vvt 2

Customer Question

I have just bought a second hand Suzuki grand vitara vvt 2 days ago i have been told the 4x4 part of the car engine will engage automatically when the driving conditions require i have read the owners manual from cover to cover and there is not a switch to switch over from normal driving to the 4x4 mode ( in a previous vitara there was a second gear stick) for some reason I don't know if I am doing something wrong but when i took it for a test drive the car was fine now it is driving the whole time in the 4x4 mode and i have used 3/4 of tank of petrol in two days i need to know if there a switch over or should i be doing something else to change back to the normal transmission
Category: Car
Expert:  sean replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I hope the following is of assistance.

The Grand Vitara II is a permanent all wheel drive system and can't be switched to 2WD. It should have a switch that controls high and low gears and also the diff lock as shown below at number 17.

If the 4WD is set in low gear then this will have an adverse effect on the vehicle when driven on the road. On the Vitara II there is no second gear lever.

I hope this helps but if I can assist further let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,

Sean.