GeoffMiles
GeoffMiles, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Garage owner and Technician for 18 years, Mazda and Ford Master technician
20485022

I have a 2005 s40 volvo halogen . I want the dipped position

Customer Question

I have a 2005 s40 volvo halogen . I want the dipped position raised so that it points further down the road. I know where the adjuster is but i do not know how to make an adjutment
Cheers
Mike
Category: Car
Expert:  GeoffMiles replied 4 years ago.
Hi, dont turn the adjuster, go to a garage to set the beam level up, if it is set too high you will dazzle oncoming vehicles. If you find the bulbs are not bright enough, then change to a decent set of osram bulbs, i think the night breaker bulbs are around £20 a pair.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks but how do you set the "beam up" or how does the garage do it? I want to avoid the garage. I have been through the bulb deal and I have a pair costing £20. They are great improvement but the beam needs to be a bit higher, say 60cms higher at about 40m down the road. With 2 people in the rear the beam is at a good height. The other point is that the beams at the moment are not at same height as one another. It,s a pity that about 30% of the drivers at night don't know that they are dazzling other on coming cars.!!

The garage at last MOT said they were set at a perfect height!!

Cheers

Mike

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
How does the garage increase the beam height, which is what I want. The garage on my mot said the height was perfect but it is too low.
Mike
PS I have been driving for 63 years.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Geof

All I need now is a clue as to how a garage would adjust the beam height if he does not use the adjuster. Does he have to dig inside the light cluster which I will not do!!

Thans

Mike

You do simply turn the adjuster, at a garage they have a beam setter which sits in front of the headlight, the beam gets projected into this unit and displays the beam pattern which it is adjusted to a set pattern. There will be 2 screws, the one on the ouside adjusts the beam left to right and the one central to the headlight bulb will adjust it up and down. I think its a phillip screw head on the volvos.