Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

1999 fiat brava 1900 deisel whole dashboard cluster has failed

Customer Question

1999 fiat brava 1900 deisel whole dashboard cluster has failed speedo,rev'counter petrol gauge,mileage reading. what can i do to fix it please
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help / advise you on this...

Can I just ask - has anything been done at the car prior to this happening - or did it just fail on its own?

Has anything been done at all so far - anything tried at all ?

Rgds, MIKE......................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi Mike, while waiting for a reply, i checked the manual for where and which fuses might control these if any, found there was and removed number 12 and 13, put them back in and found 13 was not as tight fitting as it should be,all instruments came on when I replaced it and are working perfectly now

many thanks for trying

regards,David

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again David..

Thank you for your reply..

Im very glad you managed to get it all sorted... and Thank you very much for letting me know...
I hope all goes well for you - but if you do have any more issues - or indeed is there is ever anything else... you know where I am and you are Welcome back anytime..

Very best Rgds to you -- MIKE.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi,Mike, lasted about five min's then failed again. nothing wrong with fuse 12 and 13 took them out and checked them and put them back in but nothing.what's next?

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again David..

Im sorry to hear that ...

In that case, there are two common issues with these -- one is a bad connection to the back of the dash cluster - so its a case of checking the block connectors tor security .. and if its not that - then its the dash cluster itself that has gone faulty.

Essentially I think from what you have outlined, it will be the latter - it is common on these - and what you have basically done inadvertently by removing the fuse is a re boot of the cluster. The cluster on these is a computer in its own right - so like your home pc - often a re boot will work.. but if it keeps failing as you have - the answer is to either renew it -replace it, or, and best recommendation for cost etc, is to send it away for repair. There are specialist companies that do these cluster repairs - it takes specialised equipment to do them. The problem with replacing it is that these clusters need coding / programming to the car - so apart from the initial high cost of a new unit , you then have to tow the car to a dealer for coding - more money and hassle.

Again then the best option is to send yours for repair - this means you can put yours back in , no coding hassles or cost - and too you retain the cars mileage.. and also, its considerably cheaper this way.

I can suggest a company for you - their tel number is 0 1 6 3 4 - 6 8 7 2 2 2 .. they are Kent area - they operate a postal service ..so give them a call on Monday and they will talk you through it all inc costs etc...

Again you can check the connections on the back of the cluster but after that , the best way is as above on this one now David..

Let me know if you need anything more -

>> >> >> > Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i m ike, as per answer before, I took the said fuses out and replaced them and it worked for 5 minutes then failed. tried repeating the fuse thing when i got home but nothing works on the dash.what can you suggest next. haven't been tinkering with it myself lately and have never done or had any work done on electrics
regards,david

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again David...

Yes thats what I was saying above... ie, what you did by removing the fuses rebooted it.... its the same as any way of interrupting the power to it - that is common... As it only worked for the 5 mins or so - there is evidently either a bad connection to the back of the cluster - or, its faulty..as a unit - as described above.

The fuse pulling / re booting is evidenty not having any effect any more...

Again - its very common on these- they do just go faulty, out of the blue as it were... so thats the way forward on this one now as I have outlined above,...in my previous reply / answer ..

Best Rgds, MIKE..

.............. Please do click on the OK ~ Excellent service ratings service for me now - Thank you in advance for that.

Please note, you can get back to me anytime you might need after that - clicking the OK ratings service does not close you out at all.

Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

THANKS MIKE, ONE MORE QUESTION, IS IT SIMPLE TO REMOVE THE CLUSTER OF INSTRUMENTS TO POST THEM. SECOND IS CAR WOULDN'T START AT ALL THIS MORNING SO THINGS SEEM TO BE STARTING TO FAIL ME ON THE COMPUTER OR ELECTRIC SIDE. HAVE TO GET GARAGE TO TRUCK IT TO THEMSELVES AND THEY PROBABLY WOULDN'T USE THE kENT NUMBER YOU GAVE ME. jUST GOT THE CAR AT THE BEGINNING OF THE WEEK AND REGRETTING IT NOW

MANY THANKS,DAVID

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again David...

Im sorry I could not get back to you on this until just now..

Yes, if you look closely ( which you may have done now.....) but you will see its easy to remove - once the cowl is off, you will see the fixing screws holding the cluster too - and then it lifts out back past the steering wheel..

WIth the car not starting David - this could be linked..but it is really a bit difficult to say at this point without more detail.. by all means let me know if you need anything else on this..

You can have who you like re the dash business David...unless the garage know a cheaper alternative - you can insist on whoever you like to sort the dash for you ..

I imagine some progress has been made by now - before my reply as here... so let me know how you are doing -- Im always happy to help more so if I can...

Best Rgds - MIKE..

...... I do just need you to click on the OK~ Excellent ratings service for at this point please David - as that is how Im credited for helping you - Thank You in advance for that.... and do get back to me if you need anything more..

Clicking the OK ratings service does not close you out at all - you can get back to me at any time if you need thereafter -

Rgds, MIKE..