sean, Technician
Experience:  UK based Ford Master Technician. Technician since 1984.

Customer Question

hello i have a 2003 diesel mondeo tdci 115 the car has plenty of power the glow light starts to flash and the engine cuts out turn the ignition off and on and re start the light stay out for about 20 miles and starts to flash again .the egr valve has been cleaned out and a new fuel filter has been fitted help
Category: Car
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I hope the following is of assistance.

The glow plug light also acts as an engine management warning light, when a fault is detected then a fault is logged in the engine management memory (PCM) and depending on the nature of the concern the engine will either lose power or cut out.

As you say the engine cuts out then the first thing I would check would be the camshaft position sensor. If the sensor body is black then this will need replacing with a revised grey bodied sensor and a revised short wiring loom for the sensor as the contact material has changed and a new sensor isn't compatible with the old wiring connector material. The Ford number for the wiring is(NNN) NNN-NNNN the number for the sensor is(NNN) NNN-NNNN

The only way to confirm this is the fault is to have a diagnostic check of the PCM and retrieve any stored codes, a camshaft sensor code usually leaves P0340 stored.

There are other concerns that can cause cutting out but this is the most common, if you want to check the PCM memory on a DIY basis a cheap code reader is available on the internet for around £40.

Start with the above and let me know if I can assist further or if you have more questions regarding this and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,