Mark
Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

hi can anyone help? i have a m reg golf tdi, revs increase

Customer Question

hi can anyone help? i have a m reg golf tdi, revs increase on ther own sometimes,has done it when changing gear like throtle is sticking but has also done it while in nuetral when my foot was not on the pedal,had to turn it off,thought it was going to keep going and blow up.started her up again and was fine?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mark replied 4 years ago.

Hello.

This could be due to a fault with the turbo or the engine oil level. The first thing to check is the engine oil level when the engine is cold and on a level surface.

Mark.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

oil level is fine,and isnt using any. i understand the accelerator is controlled by something electronic as opposed to a traditional cable,would you rule this out as the cause of the problem? if it is the turbo could you give me your opinion on weather this is something that could be fixed or in your experience would it be cheaper for me to just replace it, as im sure you will appreciate money is tight and the age of the car doesnt warrant spending a fortune,your advice is much appreciated,thanks. Richie

Expert:  Mark replied 4 years ago.

The accelerator is electronic. There is a position sensor at the pedal and a fuel quantity sensor and adjuster on the pump.

The next thing to check is the accelerator pedal position sensor is good and the wiring going to it.

App1 test

App2 test

After that the next test is at the pump.

Pump1

Pump2

Mark