Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

hi there, my discovery td5 has 5 warning lights on. gearbox

Customer Question

hi there, my discovery td5 has 5 warning lights on. gearbox light, engine oil light, diff light, brake light and off road light. left jeep ticking over for few hours and lights came on. appart from this, jeep is running fine
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 4 years ago.

techmachine :

Hi, welcome to Just answer, my name is Ross, i will help with your question.

This sounds like it could be a communication problem between the control units so the first step you need to take is to re-set everything, this will clear all the faults, the lights will then only return if the fault occurs again, we can then move on to diagnosing the problem. To re-set, remove the keys from the ignition and disconnect the battery negative terminal for 5-10 minutes, this will discharge the power from the control units. Reconnect, then start the engine, hopefully the lights will go out but if not, or they return please come back to me.

JACUSTOMER-5tjhxsmh- :

Have tried this procedure but lights still on.worked jeep for 6 hours one day without rest, could it be that jeep may have overheated and needs to be reset. engine starts and sounds 100%. Thankyou.

techmachine :

Hi, Have you checked the engine oil level?

JACUSTOMER-5tjhxsmh- :

oil level ok

techmachine :

Ok, i think because of the range of lights, this is not simply a glitch so ideally you need to get this plugged into a diagnostic system that can read the faults that have caused these lights to come on, i suspect its going to be electronic rather than mechanical but its difficult to say without some diagnostic scan results, before you do this i would advise a battery and alternator test is carried out to ensure the battery and alternator are giving the correct output as this can play havoc with the electronics.

JACUSTOMER-5tjhxsmh- :

ok i will check battery and alternator and have plugged into system thankyou.

techmachine :

No problem, please feel free to come back to me if you need further assistance, good luck! Regards, Ross.