Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

on an ldv convoy when hazards on the other lights pulse why

Customer Question

on an ldv convoy when hazards on the other lights pulse why please
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 3 years ago.

techmachine :

Hi, welcome to just answer, my name is Ross, i will help with your question.

techmachine :

Is it the lights at the rear that are pulsing with the indicators?

JACUSTOMER-1owy9ibi- :

yes

JACUSTOMER-1owy9ibi- :

hi yes

techmachine :

Ok, when this happens its caused by a bad earth point on the circuit, You will need to remove the rear light clusters with the bulb holders, check the condition of the holders and ensure there is no corrosion on the contacts, follow this back to the wiring connector, check the pins in the connector to make sure they are are corrosion free.

If all these are OK, you will need to follow the main wiring harness back, you wont need to look far before you find the earth location, this is usually a 10mm bolt with a ring connector on it, this is the likely cause of the problem if there is no obvious problems with the light clusters. It only takes a small bit of corrosion or water between the terminals to cause this to happen.

If you need further help please reply and i will continue my assistance, regards, Ross.

techmachine :

Hi, i noticed you rated bad service, If you have already done what i have adjusted, please just say and i can continue to help until the problem is solved. Please get back to me with what you have done so i can move on to the next step, thanks, Ross.

JACUSTOMER-1owy9ibi- :

hi sorry having a bad day then and still am should i have connectivity between all lives on the lighting and earth wheen every thin is off

techmachine :

There should be continuity between all of the earth's, these will all connect to one central ground on the van, but there should be no continuity between the positive wires of each bulb, so if you have continuity between the indicator bulb positive, and the brake bulb, there is a problem in the wiring. This is usually caused by a bad ground, if the power cannot return to ground from the indiactor bulbs, it will be forced through the brake lights and reverse lights etc.. which causes them to illuminate.

JACUSTOMER-1owy9ibi- :

i have continuity on all earths and all live wires in the lighting even with all wires disconectd from lamp holders

JACUSTOMER-1owy9ibi- :

i also have disconected wire to switch with same result

JACUSTOMER-1owy9ibi- :

forgot to say continuity is between live and earth

JACUSTOMER-1owy9ibi- :

just checked and i have continuity between tail light and right rear indicator

techmachine :

Ok, that sounds normal, there will be continuity through the circuit so i don't think there is a supply problem, it would blow a fuse instantly if there was a dead short.

Does your rear light cluster had individual connectors to each bulb holder or is it one big connector ?

JACUSTOMER-1owy9ibi- :

it is a seprate live to each in the row but a common earth

techmachine :

Right, i thought that would be the case. Its almost certainly going to be a problem with the earth, if you can, try temporarily attaching a bit of wire to the earth on the light cluster while its all plugged in, attach this to a good bit of bare metal such as a bolt on the rear door, if the lights start working correctly the problem is with the earth on the loom

JACUSTOMER-1owy9ibi- :

ok i have put a jump lead from battry earth to chassis also spliced a wire from chassis to earth in cluster but havent done the other side yet

techmachine :

Ok great

JACUSTOMER-1owy9ibi- :

all the lights function and come on but as the indicator flashes it causes the tail light to other lights to dim and brighten as it flashes

techmachine :

is that happening with the temporary earth connected to both clusters or just the one?

JACUSTOMER-1owy9ibi- :

both

JACUSTOMER-1owy9ibi- :

i think front sidelights also are doing same

JACUSTOMER-1owy9ibi- :

applying either indicator has same effect also if i remove earth to right tail it stays on

techmachine :

When you say removing the earth to the right tail it stays on, do you mean it stops flashing with the indicator?

JACUSTOMER-1owy9ibi- :

no it stays on

techmachine :

Right, Do you have a multi meter?

JACUSTOMER-1owy9ibi- :

yes

techmachine :

Ok, have you found the main ground location?

JACUSTOMER-1owy9ibi- :

no as van fully boarded

JACUSTOMER-1owy9ibi- :

but with battery def grounded and wire from ground to cluster this should be sufficient to ensure a good earth shouldnt it

techmachine :

It should do, if the ground location is OK, then it probably is either within a bulb holder or the contacts between the cluster harness and the bulb holder.

JACUSTOMER-1owy9ibi- :

i dont know why if i only have the tail light wire and brake light wire and no earth conected to the lamp holder it is still live

techmachine :

Its a bit strange, im wondering if this problem could be further back towards the fuse box or wiring between the two.