Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

I am getting married in May 2014 My fiance wants to drive

Customer Question

I am getting married in May 2014
My fiance wants to drive his hot rod race car 10 miles on the public road to our venue.
His hot road is a renault shell with a vauxhall red top engine and is very fast and powerful.
He races on oval curcuit events throughout the country who have their own scrunineering team to check for safety.
The dvla have said he needs to insure and mot the car for the public road however, he has no lights and no number plate and no vehicle documents plus safety windows with no glass
Is there a permit he can obtain just for the day? Or would it be possible if he drove a shorter distance?
Jacqui Fenwick
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 4 years ago.

techmachine :

Hi, welcome to Just answer, my name is Ross. i will help with your question

JACUSTOMER-qzzt88no- :

thanks

techmachine :

Unfortunately, there is no permit you can get for the temporary use of a non roadworthy car on the public highway, If the car was to be used on the road, it needs to have a current MOT certificate and road tax, the MOT is needed to obtain the road tax, and to insure the car for road use.

techmachine :

The only way around this would be to get an MOT on the car and make the necessary modifications to conform to regulations.

JACUSTOMER-qzzt88no- :

This is a shame but suspected this was the case

JACUSTOMER-qzzt88no- :

thanks for your time

techmachine :

No problem, sorry i cant be of more help with this, good luck with your wedding.