Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905
Car

Hi. I have a xzara picasso 1.6 hdi. The engine management light

Hi. I have a xzara... Show More

Hi. I have a xzara picasso 1.6 hdi. The engine management light came on and showing "engine fault" on screen. I have took to a local citroen garage and on there diagnostic machine it showed along the lines of: short/open circuit to turbo boost pressure After several suggestions and changing components ie; map sensor, turbo dump valve it is still showing same fault shortly after fault is cleared Have you any suggestions what could be the fault as i am pulling my hair -out at the cost so far and not getting anywhere thanks David

Category: Car
Show Less
Mike, Technician
replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

What is the mileage on the car ?

What is its service /recent repair history?

Please give me the exact fault code/s retrieved -

Rgds, MIKE.........................
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

Hi. mike. mileage is 113.000

due for a service shortly(oil change etc)

The diagnostic machine was a citroen one linked to a lap top

and and did not give a fault code just worded

Mike, Technician replied 3 years ago.
Hello again David.. thank you for that ...

Okay - it would have been helpful to have the actual code, but I can do this in reverse as it were..

The fault that you have is a not too-well known one but the reference to that code/ fault description , usually and often means that it is suffering from a common turbo fault.

Many of these have been diagnosed and repaired with these faults and have been down to the turbo itself going faulty - this then causes the knock on effect to the sensors, which then gives the fault code you have. There is no specific code for a turbo failure mechanically but thats what's happening in most cases - and then you get what you have.. To explain further, there has been a problem with compression gases leaking past the injectors and causing a build up of carbon around the injectors which can, not always, be detected with a smell in the car... It depends how bad that is... With the later engines the same leak of compression gases happen but is routed differently and goes in in the engine oil via the rocker cover, piston rings or valve stems. The worst case scenario is that the turbo breaks up and due to the way these engines are designed, the "bits and pieces" go, sucked into the engine -and wrecks the engine...which happens on all types.

Again, this is a fairly common issue on these David - yours, all else ruled out , shows the early signs of the above. So the best suggestion is to have the turbo thoroughly checked out / system - and I suggest by a garage that specialises in these if you at all can ( dealers dont specialise in the actual turbo and its operation )...and then go from there... It is all looking like you have the signs of early / upcoming turbo failure Im afraid so this does need looking at as above as soon as you possibly can. ( to save engine issues as above )

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.

Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

could it be a partially blocked dpf filter causing the fault rather than turbo failure

Mike, Technician replied 3 years ago.

Hello again David - My sincere apologies for the delay --

No - not at all - I very much doubt that David - you would have at least a flickering Dpf light -

It is true that the dpf's are something of an issue on these- but you always get the warning light - and too - your symptoms just dont add up to that David...

Let me know how you get on - but what I have outlined to you above ( in my answer ) is very very common on these--

Best Rgds, MIKE.

........... Please do click on the OK> Excellent service ratings for me as thats how Im credited for helping you - Thank You in advance for that ..

Nb - You can get back to me anytime at all should you need / wish - clicking on the OK ratings service does not stop you at all - Thank you ..

Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike, I have replaced turbo with a brand new unit including

oil pick-up & feed pipe + oil & filter change.

But is now showing code p0238 turbo boost sensor a circuit high.

I have noticed that the actuator is being drawn fully down and stays there

until you pull the air pipe off

Which seems opposite to another picasso i have.

I have also replaced the pressure valve (part No 1618 c9)

and tried another map sensor.

any suggestions other than a box of matches!!!Frown