Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

ABS LIGHT ON GASHBOARD ON AND A BROKEN ORANGE CIRCLE LINE AND

Customer Question

ABS LIGHT ON GASHBOARD ON AND A BROKEN ORANGE CIRCLE LINE AND TRACTION FAILURE SOMETINES COMES ON TOO
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 3 years ago.

techmachine :

Hi, welcome to Just answer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX will help with your question

Customer:

OK I AM WAITING FOR THE QUESTIONS OR ANSWER

techmachine :

All three of these warning lights that are on / come on are probably linked to one fault as they are all controlled by the ABS modulator. Is the ABS light on all the time or does it take some driving for it to come on?

Customer:

ON ALL THE TIME WHEN ENGINE IS ON

Customer:

ALSO A BITE OF NOISE ON THE FRONT WHEELS AS I DRIVE....ETC

techmachine :

Ok so its going to be a physical fault on the ABS/Traction control system, This is probably caused by a sensor, it may be as simple as a wheel speed sensor. I Assume no diagnostics have been carried out at this point?

Customer:

YES BUT ALL LOCAL MECHANICS ARE ADVISING TO GO TO MAIN DEALER ETC WITHOUT AND SPECIFIC CONCLUSION AS TO WHY.

techmachine :

Ok, yes it needs dealer specific diagnostics to confirm the fault, there are several sensors, and hundreds of possible causes for the light to come on, so the only way to find out exactly what is causing the fault is to plug it into a diagnostic system that will pinpoint the problem, Just out of interest, did this come on around the same time as having the drive shaft changed? before/after?

Customer:

ABS WAS FIRST.THEN THE SHAFT FALL DOWN AND RAC MAN CAME AND TOOK THE WHOLE ROAD OUT AND ADVISED TO REPLACE -AT THIS STAGE THE BROKEN ORANGE CIRCLE LIGHT CAME ON.AND AFTER IT WAS FIXED BOTH LIGHTS FAILED TO DISAPPEAR.AND NOISE WAS STILL ON AND EVEN APPEARS TO BE GETTING WORSE

techmachine :

Ok, it sounds like the shaft was failing, this may cause the ABS light to come on as the "reluctor ring" is fitted to this shaft. So that would explain the ABS light. I have a feeling when the drive shaft failed or while it was being replaced, the ABS sensor was damaged, and this has caused the other lights to come on. While there is a fault on the system, everything shuts down causing the warning lights to come on, the ABS sensor is very sensitive to knocks or attempts to remove it which may have been caused when the shaft was replaced.

Customer:

OK I SEE.

Customer:

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE NOISE

Customer:

WHICH SOUNDS LIKE IF THE BRAKE DISKS/PADS HAVE BEEN BADLY WORN OUT AND YET PADS HAVE ALSO BEEN REPLACED AND DISKS ARE OK

techmachine :

Is the noise there all the time with the rotation of the wheels or does it change when your on/off the brake pedal?

Customer:

ON WHEN THE WHEEL IS ROTATING AND ONLY ON THE DRIVER SIDE FRONT I THINK

techmachine :

Right ok, its difficult to pinpoint noises on here, but we can rule out brake discs and pads, so that's good. There are a few other possibilities... The most common is the back plates, the metal guard behind the disc can become distorted and it will rub the disc, it can often be cured simply by pushing it back out of the way, however if its rusted it may need grinding back or replacing. Another possibility is the shims fitted to the pads, these can be fitted at a slight angle which will rub the disc, or simply a stone stuck in the pads.

Ideally the wheel needs to be removed, the pads out and the disc removed, you can then examine the back plate for rub marks and repair as necessary.

Customer:

OK UNDERSTAND.

Customer:

WHAT ABOUT THE POSSIBILITY THAT IT MIGHT BE FRONT DIFF.PROBLEMS ETC

techmachine :

The front diff will usually cause a grumble/groaning noise which will change with acceleration or deceleration, it it does, the diff is a possibility.

Customer:

WHAT IS THE CHANCES THAT IT MIGHT BE FRONT DIFF ALTHOUGH THIS IS INDEED THE SYMTOMS I AM GETTING BUT IT IS ON ONE SIDE IF I REMEMBER

techmachine :

The front diff is slightly to one side, if you are getting these symptom it may be the diff, what you describe is what i would expect from a front diff problem so unfortunately i would say its possible, but it may be as simple as the front brake plates as mentioned, ideally you need to get a mechanic to listen to the noise to get a better idea.

Customer:

I WAS TOLD THIS IS COMPLICATED AND EVEN WORSE IT IS LINKED TO THE GEAR BOX AND HEAVILY EXPENSIVE TO SORT OUT

techmachine :

Its can be but is rarely linked to the gearbox, It is expensive to repair, however if the diff is stripped and repaired early it can save money as further damage will be prevented. Often its cheaper to fit a second hand or reconditioned diff.

Customer:

FINALLY IF YOU CARRY ON DRIVING.......WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN?

techmachine :

It will carry on for a long time, gradually getting louder. Eventually it could fail internally which would cause loss of drive to the front wheels. It could break apart internally which would damage the casing.

Customer:

OK THANKS BUT DO YOU HAVE ANY EXPERT REPAIRS ON THIS OTHER THAN THE MAIL DEALER WHICH MIGHT CAUSE A LOT

techmachine :

I don't know of any specifically my self, the best place to take it is a 4X4 specialist which there are several around. a specialist is cheaper, and often better as they have so much knowledge of the 4WD system.

Customer:

THE LAST BUT NOT THE LEAST,DO HAVE ANY IDEAR ON THE PRICE RANGE IF IT HAPPEN TO BE THE FRONT DIFF PROBLEMS

techmachine :

Usually they can be repaired for around £300 but this does vary upon what has failed and who carries out the repair. If it needed a new diff it will cost around £800 for a reconditioned assembly plus fitting so could be up to £1000 worse case.

Customer:

OK THANKS A MILLION,YOUR ARE REALLY AN EXPERT

Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience: Licensed diagnostic and repair technician