Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

I am looking ot buy a 57 plate land rover freelander and found

Customer Question

I am looking ot buy a 57 plate land rover freelander and found one I quite liked on Saturday, was advised it could not be started because it had run out of fuel so I arranged to go back on Monday evening. I was then advised half an hour before the test drive that they still could not get it started because of air in the system due to running out of diesel. I called back today and they have still not got it started, apparently the freelander does not have a manual pump but they have now found the correct procedure but will need to leave it overnight to get all of the air out of the system. I have arranged to go back tomorrow but I am very wary of the amount of time this has taken. Does this sound like a reasonable explanation and would you buy the car in my position?
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Hi .

There is something odd with this, as this has an in tank fuel prime pump, and if it runs out of fuel the pump will prime and complete the cycle and bleed itself and should start up after one or two minute cranking at the most .

I would not bother with this car, as it looks like they had a problem and are trying to cover it up with saying the system has air in it.

Hope this helps and explains what could be happening here with this car .

Need further assistance then please get back to me if needed.

Kind regards Greg