Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My wife reversed into a fiat 500 in a petrol garage, at about

Customer Question

My wife reversed into a fiat 500 in a petrol garage, at about 2 mph. Her rear bumper is flexible, impact absorbing fibre glass. The only visible damage was a tiny scratch on the Fiat's bonnet.After nearly 3 months the fiats owner has come up with a massive repair quote, including both front wings and air conditioning!

Is the air con in the front of the fiat's engine compartment.

P
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.

the layout is pretty conventional, yes theres a AC rad on the front and its possible that this was damaged in the crunch as ther are some pipes whihc could be cracked due to an impact - however a new AC rad and a re-gas should only be about £200 for parts plus fitting

I'm sorry to say that this is that state of affairs these days as the smallest mark on something and it will be quoted for replacement with new parts from the dealer and many garages as soon as they know its going through the insurance will quote for replacing as much as possible

if the owner is reasonable you may want to offer sorting this out without going through the insurance which will save time and obviously put the cost onto you but at least your no -claims won't be lost.