Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

hello i have a vauxhall combo crew cab 1.7 diesel on 54 plate,i

Customer Question

hello i have a vauxhall combo crew cab 1.7 diesel on 54 plate,i have just had the timming belt changed,and now have a problem with van !! what happens is -- if the van is just ticking over it will just stop !!! just before it stops the rev needle lifts up a tad !! and it will also do it as you are coming to stop at traffic lights,it does not do it all the time,and the van is ok at high speed !!
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help / advise you on this..

Can I just ask - what sort / type of garage did the belt change for you?

Was its a service change - or had the belt broken in use?

What checks have been done since this is happening?

Do you get any fault lights on the dash at all ?

Was any other work done at the same time at all ?

Rgds, MIKE.......................................

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello only timming belt change !! garage ok many people cant failt the garage timming belt good make !! it was just change belt. not broken !!all this was on last wed i filled up tank thur night and it hasent done it ,would it be diesel filter ?? engine looked well after !!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it runs fine and it starts ok after it stops !!!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

and no fault lights come on !!

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Keith -

Thank you for your reply. My apologies that I was not on over the weekend.

With all that you have said - and the fact that it now appears ok after filling the tank - there is every chance that there was air in the system - and that has purged it so its ok now.

With these, when doing the timing belt job often the lines are opened so they have to be bled after doing the job - these can be notoriously difficult to get the air out - and often need several bleeding attempts to do it - but it looks like you have been lucky in that its cleared now with you adding the fuel.

So again, hopefully its ok now. IF not - then the next best step is to have a new fuel filter fitted - and have the system bled - ideally using equipment , as opposed to the auto bleed these have - Vauxhall tend to use an electric pump to fully bleed these so if it starts playing up again - have that done as above to cure this for you..

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

>> >> Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.