Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

Occasional problem with my Altea. When the ignition key is

Customer Question

Occasional problem with my Altea. When the ignition key is turned to the off position, the engine continues to run. It is a diesel version. The local garage has changed the ignition barrel and the electronic switch that is behind it. On test they state that there is no problem that is recorded on the computer system. Therefore they are unable to identify the issue. Any thoughts??
Category: Car
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thats fine. I will wait for a responce from you. I also have Seat looking into this issue as well. Hopefully they may also be able to assist me to identify this problem. Thanks again. Mick Tompkins.

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help you with this..

Please give me the cars Full reg number so that I can progress on this for you...

Too please tell me if you have any updates on the situation ( since your question was posed )..

Kind Rgds, MIKE........................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The registration number is J17 MVT. I have had a brief conversation with Seat UK. They do not know of any reason this isue should occur. They feel that if the car's computor is not showing anything then there is nothing wrong. This could not be further from the truth. I hope you are able to offer me a logical explaintion for this intermediate fault. Your Sincerley. Mick Tompkins.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again...

First, my apologies for the delay - Im afraid I have been off ill for a time.. So Im sorry about that.

With this situation as you describe it, other than what has been checked / done so far - then it would be reasonable to assume that the most likely fault causing this would be with a faulty main / engine management relay.

If that relay fails in that it goes what we call "sticky" ( as they do ).. then on switch off, the contacts "stick" closed instead of releasing -and therefore even though you have switched off - the power / current is still being applied to the Ecu - hence, the engine will continue to run.

So given what you have described, that would be where I would suggest you look / check / investigate on this one to cure this issue.

We have seen wiring issues with some of these - corroded / melted / damaged wires and water ingress causing such issues too - but Im assuming all that has been checked by the time you asked your question - which leads me to the main relay issue as above..

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

>> >> Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.