Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

Hi, I,ve got a passat tdi 1.9 2006 80k miles on clock. it started

Customer Question

Hi, I,ve got a passat tdi 1.9 2006 80k miles on clock. it started to have a judder problem specially when idle. The engine starts to vibrate noticeably when the engine gets hot. It runs smooth when cold however. Tried checking injectors, wiring loom, gearbox mount and vcds doesn,t show any problem. Mechanics guess it's flywheel, but I'm not convinced as there is no noise, no problem with gears, and no other symptoms with broken flywheel as well as it's only shakes when gets hot ( water temp comes to 90 c). Don't want to spend 800£ but find out it's not that...
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 3 years ago.

techmachine :

Hi, welcome to Just answer! My name is Ross and i will help with your question

JACUSTOMER-5us2wl4b- :

techmachine :

Hi, just to confirm, did you have any misfire counts on VCDS? No fault codes what so ever?

JACUSTOMER-5us2wl4b- :

Hi, I had misfire first but was resolved in later checks by changing the loom and replacing one of the injectors

techmachine :

Ok, and there is still a vibration now, is this similar to the misfire ?

JACUSTOMER-5us2wl4b- :

well the vibration is no different from before..but not sure if it's because of the misfire anymore as vcds doesn't show anything

JACUSTOMER-5us2wl4b- :

actually there is no error in vcds

techmachine :

Ok, unfortunately it does sounds like the exact symptoms the Dual mass flywheel gives. The flywheel can in fact cause a misfire to show in VCDS as the crank sensor will detect the vibrations like a misfire

I have had several of these now which fail giving this misfire/vibration without giving any noise.

JACUSTOMER-5us2wl4b- :

right..so how come the engine vibrates when it gets hot? and feeling anything when starts from cold

JACUSTOMER-5us2wl4b- :

right..so how come the engine (only) vibrates when it gets hot? and (not) feeling anything when starts from cold

techmachine :

That is what often happens as the movement in the centre mass of the flywheel increases as the metal expands.

JACUSTOMER-5us2wl4b- :

interesting...can it be that significant?

JACUSTOMER-5us2wl4b- :

will it cause any damage if I run it like this for a long time? what would be the possible damages?

techmachine :

It is an unusual symptom to get from a flywheel as its so much like an engine misfire but I have seen these exact symptoms from them many times and as there is no faults via VCDS its almost certainly the flywheel.

Running it like this is not recommended, although it may go on for a while yet, eventually it will get worse and start making a knocking noise. They can eventually disintegrate and break apart, obviously this dangerous as parts can be launched through the gearbox casing at high RPM.

JACUSTOMER-5us2wl4b- :

is it worth to fix the problem (maybe changing a spring, central bearing etc) or should I change the whole flywheel?

techmachine :

I would recommend an aftermarket flywheel as they last just as long but are cheaper, unfortunatly they are a sealed unit so needs to be replaced as a whole unit.

JACUSTOMER-5us2wl4b- :

is there any difference between sachs or LUK? How could I save more money, without losing quality?

Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I have sent the Professional a message to let them know you have replied.

Expert:  Ross replied 3 years ago.
Hi, sorry for taking so long to reply! I have done a bit of research into the most common brands of after market units my local supplier can provide which is LUK, and Sachs like you say. Although they are all very good and should last their expected life I personally always use LUK and have discovered they provide the parts to many manufacturers (the original passat clutch was made by LUK) so the quality is the same as the original genuine item. Sachs are very close and there is very little between them, depending on the make and model of vehicle sometimes they cost a bit more or a bit less but if the Sachs is cheaper, I would have no problems using that as they are well made parts.

There is sometimes the option of remanufactured items, i would strongly advise you say away from these but there is certainly no need to use a genuine VW part over after market. There is also the option to convert to a single mass flywheel, Single mass flywheel conversion kits are around the same price as a dual mass but prevents the possibility of failure in the future, there are pros and cons to this as the DMF its self is used to help absorb the vibrations and torque of the diesel engine and can give more vibrations and strain in the gearbox/clutch components.

I hope this helps, please feel free to ask if you would like more assistance, regards, Ross.