Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

318i 2003, shaking and shutting down with sound of gritting

Customer Question

318i 2003, shaking and shutting down with sound of gritting coming sometimes, the mechanic ran a computer check and nothing came out on it another listened to to engine and sounds and said its nothing or a mechanical problem (he said it could be a balance shaft problem but he is not sure and a BMW dealer should be consulted) It drives smoothly except when parking or going slowly (but still this happens occasionally) I don't know is it serious, it has passed the MOT without problems?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.

Hello, welcome to Just Answer/Pearl. My name is Mike, I will
do my very best to assist you with your question today.

The noise that you are describing is a issue with the camshaft phasers starting to make noise,this is a fairly common issue over time with the way these engines are designed.The fact that a trouble code has not been set yet indicates that the phasers have not failed.What causes the noise is carbon and oil build up over time.The issue will be fine as of right now but eventually,mainly when a code is set the cam phasers will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What do you suggest? should I take it a BMW dealer?

The vehicle would need to go to a bmw dealer and have the phasers inspected and replaced if needed or cleaned.